Rss Feed

Who am I?

So this is me. My name is Laura and I am a 20-something girl currently living in the GTA. Music has played a major role in my life for as long as I can remember. It is part of my soul.
I grew up surrounded by music; let it by my dad playing the piano with us singing along, or my great-uncle playing on his fiddle, or my uncle playing his drums... It's in my blood. I first learned how to play the piano when I was 6 years old, taking lessons from my grandmother who lived right next door. When looking back, I remember enjoying it to an extent, but actually disliked it a bit and I think I just resented the fact that my grandmother would always check on me to make sure I was practising, etc. After several years and having learned the basics I quit.
The piano lessons were not a complete waste of time though as it tought me the basics in music and also taught me how to read it. I then went on to sing in many choirs throughout elementary school; I also performed several solos in music fesitvals. In grade 5 (I was 10y/o) I got to learn how to play the recorder. This was my first stab at learning an instrument since the piano several years before. I absolutely loved it. I even went on to perform solos in the music festival, and even performed several times with the school choir.
The following year is when my musical abilities began to flourish and really start pumping through my veins. I learned how to play the flute and really fell in love with music. The flute brought me much success in music for the remainder of my elementary school career (was section leader for flutes in the concert band for grades 7 and 8). I then went on to play in my high school band for one year. After a bad experience with an awful music teacher, I decided to quit the band part way through my grade 10 year and that was it.
Throughout high school, I began to really explore and listen to so many different types of music in attempt to really find myself musically and see what I really liked. I made the jump from listening to almost every genre of music, until I found what really spoke to me. The likes of the rock/alternative/indie world.
My musical appreciation and tastes blossomed throughout my university days. I spent a lot of my spare time attending concerts, discovering new bands and even teaching myself how to play the guitar. Music has just always been there, and it always will be. So I found it fitting that I attempt this little feat of posting one of my favourite songs for the next year. Even I am excited to see what the list looks like at the end of this!

0 comments:

Post a Comment